Production Project Session #5

Cute baby goose
Cute baby goose” by Tambako the Jaguar is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.

SUMMARY

Role

Character Artist

Intention (SMART Goal)

By May 10 as Character Artist, I will have evidence of creating a boss for the game by following Construct 3 Boss Fight for Session 5.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Shayleen Hubert

She’s an independent Game Artist who has worked on many projects including popular titles like Heroes of the Storm, Spyro Reignited, and Borderlands 3.

https://intogames.org/news/what-does-a-games-3d-character-artist-do-shayleen-hulbert

“At the time I was very active on LinkedIn art groups so I was contacted spontaneously by the Art Director at a mobile company asking me to come in for an interview as he liked my illustrations.” – Even if you lose hope stay towards your goal and make sure people see your potential.

“You have to be very good at communication, being as clear and constructive as possible.” – Work well with others and figure out what your client wants and do it.

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Don’t compare yourself with another person just to discourage yourself.

I don’t exactly know Shayleen Hubert that well. I ended up finding her on the web and I was interested in her story. It shows that even after losing her way in life she was able to find her way on a path that she enjoyed. I’ve heard of some of the games she’s worked on but I haven’t exactly seen footage of her art. Nonetheless, I think she has some good advice for newer people.

Training Source(s)

Construct 3 Boss Fight

4:05 – Setting HP Bar to Boss Health

8:15 – Double Sine

15:52 – Different Attack States

30:36 – Set Direction upon Spawning

44:39 – Random Teleportation

Project Timeline

Design a single good-looking Game Level

Make Boss

Implement “Spawn Dead Enemies at Next Boss Mechanic”

Create Weapons

Improve Shop Mechanics

Add more than one enemy

Make UI

Decorate Game Levels

Proposed Budget

1300$ – Mac

136$ – Construct

March 20 – April 14

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Itch

Inside the Credits of the game is my work for the session.

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I believe I’m getting better in terms of problem-solving. Creatively, the artwork for this game has been better than previous sessions which the standards aren’t particularly high but still improvement nonetheless. Throughout the last session, I fixed a good amount of bugs and generally, I’m a logic-based person so it comes easier to me than creative aspects.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

One thing I’m still working on and have been working on since the start of the year is being able to talk to someone and speak my mind. I am always active in conversation but leadership is not a strong suit. I still try my best to be respectful and keep my thoughts to myself but this session was mentally taxing.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I don’t think I learned any new websites or media forms from the previous session but I improved my current skillset. Not only did I work on the team game but I started work on my own game. It’s not very developed, however, so it’ll probably take another year to complete.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

If I were to change anything about this game, it would be the fact that I would not create it in Construct 3D. I hope that next session I won’t feel so demotivated in terms of the game. It also prepares me for the future because there are going to be things I don’t want to do but I have to push through it.

Reactions to the Final Version

Hunter who was our advisor this session, is a student at DigiPen who has advised previous sessions of Game Design before. There were no student reviewers from this class.

Pause Menu – Hunter said the Pause Menu was pretty underdeveloped and was expecting at least a little more in terms of content.

Boss Difficulty – Hunter said the boss was too easy and projectiles could’ve been faster for more difficulty.

Scaling – Hunter said the scaling of a lot of objects in the game was off, making things look too big or too small. An example is the Potion Seller’s Cart.

Shop Pop-Up UI – Hunter said the game could’ve heavily benefitted from the Shop being a Pop-Up UI instead of just being a layout.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I pretty much agree with what Hunter has to say, I dislike this project a lot even if it turned out somewhat alright. There were a lot of problems Hunter didn’t find and there was so much more stuff that wasn’t added to the slides. The numerous amount of button key binds made the game complicated, it was messy and not consistent and just wasn’t a fun experience to play.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Sam